Thursday, January 22, 2015

How to Make Stained Glass Mosaic Painting

Recently I came across a local glass mosaic artist who creates artwork for Indian temples. I watched him work, cut colored glass into tiny triangles and paste onto MDF using putty. I was very fascinated with the possibilities and got some pieces cut for myself. 

The theme I chose was shattering- glass. The glasses I used are:
- Red Saint Gobain Colored Glass
- Mirror

I lay them on the floor in different permutations to see their effect. 


Then I chose this pattern of red glass against mirror and extended it. 

I put pieces together like a jigsaw puzzle, matching ends but leaving 4 mm space between each for grout. I tried many different variations. When I was satisfied with the final design, I measured the area and bought a glass of that size. Then I stuck these pieces in similar fashion to the glass using putty. 


Then I made a paste of plaster of Paris and filled within the gaps.  

I colored it black using Camel Black Fabrica paint and a thin round brush. Then I cut off the extras of POP using a paper cutter. 
This was the most time consuming part, because removing the extra POP often resulted in removal of paint from the gaps, which I then had to refill using more fabric paint or permanent marker. I used a Camlin Permanent Marker in Black for this.


I also used acetone to remove the extra paint leftover on the glass pieces. And then I framed it. Love the way it reflects the crystal chandelier in the living room. 



1 comment:

  1. That's really a marvelous post. This post contains useful information which helps us a lot. I have never seen such a great post. Your wonderful post can inspire a lot and helps us. I visit your website often and share with my friend.
    Mosaic products

    ReplyDelete